Friday, February 7, 2014

Potty Training 101


Oh yes, potty training at its finest. Praise the good Lord Dominic took interest in this endeavor after Christmas break. I've been waiting on John to want to, but he refused. So after Dominic trying it out for a couple days, John soon followed lead (as it often goes here). I guess most things will be done together like this. Dominic got it down in literally 2 days. I was amazed. He even stayed dry in the night right off the bat, and has hardly had any accidents since. John on the other hand picked and chose when he wanted to go on the potty and when he didn't want to. So we just left a diaper on him and knew it would come eventually. Couldn't handle clean ups. So once I discovered he could be bribed with the zoo visit, this started a more consistent pattern for him, and he got better and better. Yay! This has definitely been the best birthday present/best start to the year so far.
 
We sing lots of "proud of you" and "king pooper" songs. We also have a star chart so they don't demand treats every time, but have to work up to them. Or they get two m&m's if they're really needing recognition in the moment.
 
Although this has been so nice not having to change their diapers, I feel like I'm in that bathroom ALL DAY LONG. And it usually isn't pretty. I didn't know it was possible to make some of the messes they have made. Example: Dominic deciding to dump his mess in the toilet himself, but missing and it landing/splashing all over the floor, all over himself, and in his mouth? Yes. They also like to treat it like a fraternity in there sometimes and have bathroom parties, going at the same time on different toilets (had to get two), but making it last a lot longer than necessary. Boys, boys, boys, what is it with the bathroom? And of course Isaac is always in there at the same time getting into things like a favorite bathroom drawer or shower.
 
 
All in all, I'm one happy Mama right now with their success. :)
 
 
Started out a little too early late in the summer with lots of book reading.
It was a good try by aunt Helen, but not quite ready yet.

My favorite
Dominic cheering on John with an already well deserved treat....


3 comments:

  1. Tricia, this is so good to read! We are going through the same thing. Older little one hasnt been very fond of it. I am taking it slow and seeing some progress. So glad I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, this is so good to read! We are going through the same thing. Older little one hasnt been very fond of it. I am taking it slow and seeing some progress. So glad I am not the only one who has had to let the diaper stay on! Looking forward to winning this hahaha!

    ReplyDelete